Monday, September 26, 2011

A Beginner's Guide to Mixing it Up

I am a sucker for an awesome print.  Whether it be on a top, dress, skirt or shoes- I cannot say no to a killer design.  Thus my closet has become one giant fun-fest of prints.

The Punky Brewster in me wants to wear whatever I want, whenever I want, which is true most of the time.  So I have no problem throwing my zig-zag print shorts on with a vintage tank blouse covered in a gold medallion and pretty paisleys print. 

In the back of my mind however I have a nagging voice-(maybe that of my mother?)- saying "Are you really going out of the house looking like that??  They will straight-up throw you in a state hospital, I am not kidding!"

So with some hesitanceI leave the house, half thinking I look like a million bucks, half thinking I look like I have a million different voices in my head.

But for the last few seasons designers have given us the "A-Ok" to mix up our prints, and not shy away from wearing just one at a time.  And if they say it's okay, that little nagging voice gets quieter and quieter... (Thanks Moschino! Thanks Comme de Garcons!)




Feeling a little iffy about it still?  Well here are some hints to help get you started:



1. Look in your closet.  Find your favorite printed piece, whether it is a top or bottom, or even a dress.

2.Next gather all your other printed lovelies that you could possible pair with it (for example- if you chose a top, look for all your printed bottoms, if it is a dress look for printed tights)

3.Finally put the prints up to each other and see what duo make a "do."

I find that it is usually easier to pair prints in the same color family together.  For example a black and white daisy crop top with  a black and white stripe mini skirt. 

Now to finish off the outfit I opt for simple solid items to balance out the print madness.  Like in the example above I would wear some black tights and black booties.

No matter what you go with have fun with it.

This trend definitely gets the Soleil Moon Frye Seal Of Approval

2 comments: